Are you a music producer and use Linux as your primary operating system, then music production is going to become easy for you after reading this article.
There are good music production software in Linux just as it is in Windows and Mac OS, though a few features may vary but the underlying functionalities mostly are the same.
List of open source music software :
It is free, open source and also a cross platform application for audio recording and editing. Therefore it can run on Linux, Mac OS X, Windows and other operating systems. Audacity has the some of the following features:
- Records live audio through a microphone, a mixer or from other media.
- Import and export files from and to different sound formats.
- Copy, cut, paste, delete options for easy editing.
- Large range of keyboard shortcuts.
- Add sound effects.
- Extensible with various plug-ins and many more.
It is an audio signal processing software that allows users to do sound exploration and music composition, and it is intended for use by sound designers. It can run on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
It allows you to create a customized GUI by following a simple syntax. Cecilia has in-built modules that allow users to add sound effects and also for synthesis.
This is a music mixing software that can help you become a professional DJ. It is available on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. It can help you test you audio after complete production by mixing it with other audio files while listening to it.
Therefore having it in a studio can be so helpful just in case the user is also a sound producer.
It has some of the following features:
- Four decks with advanced controls.
- In-built sound effects.
- Quad sampler decks.
- Designer skins.
- Record and broadcast functionality.
- DJ hardware support and many more.
It is available on Linux and Mac OS X and allows you to record, edit, mix and master audio and MIDI projects. It can be used by musicians, soundtrack editors and composers.
Ardour has some of the following features:
- Flexible recording.
- Unlimited multichannel tracks.
- Importing and exporting audio files of different formats.
- Extensible through plug-ins and In-line plug-in control .
- Automation and many more.
This is a virtual guitar amplifier and is available on Linux but can be built to work on BSD and Mac OS X. It runs on the Jack audio connection kit and works by taking signal from a guitar and processes it mono amp and a rack section. It also has in-built modules to allow you add effects to the rack.