7 Plants You Had No Idea Could Kill You

 

7 Pothos

Pothos plants are a staple in many households due to their ease of care and vivid appearance. Regrettably, the popular plant may represent a major harm as well. “All species of pothos contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can induce mouth burning and swelling, as well as stomach problems,” says Erinn Witz, co-founder of Seeds and Spades, a horticulture specialist. Because swelling in the mouth and respiratory tract can make it difficult to breathe, anyone who has eaten the plant should seek medical attention right away.

6 Daphne

Although its bright flowers and gleaming foliage make it a lovely addition to your yard, daphne shrubs can represent a major threat to your safety. “The berries and twigs of Daphne are extremely toxic,” Bishop explains. “Direct contact with the plant’s new twigs can cause severe rashes and dermatitis in persons with sensitive skin.” According to studies published in the Canadian Journal of Plant Science, consumption of any portion of the daphne plant, in addition to its “corrosive” sap, can be lethal to humans and animals.

5 Foxglove

Care for any foxglove on your property with extreme caution if you want to protect yourself and your loved ones. “The foxglove is exceedingly poisonous in all parts. Humans can be seriously poisoned by cardiac glycosides found in the plant “Bishop agrees. “Eating the seeds, leaves, or stems can cause a fast or erratic heartbeat, low blood pressure, rashes, and stomach aches.” He advises anyone who ingests foxglove to seek medical help right away.

4 Rhubarb

Its stalks are a delicious addition to pies, jams, and other dishes. Humans, on the other hand, can be poisoned by rhubarb leaves. “The leaves of the culinary plant contain an acid that forms calcium oxalate crystals….[which] can cause irritation of the skin, throat, mouth, and tongue, as well as more serious problems such difficulty breathing, throat swelling, and burning,” Bishop explains. According to an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, over ingestion of rhubarb leaves can be lethal in rare situations.

3 Lily of the valley

Although this popular flower appears to be harmless, if it is accidentally consumed, it can cause major health problems. “The repercussions of consuming the lovely blossom could be devastating, especially for children,” warns Pol Bishop of Fantastic Gardeners, a horticultural and landscaping specialist. All components of the plant, including the fruit, are dangerous, according to him. “Vomiting, abdominal pain, nausea, and heartbeat difficulties are some of the symptoms that can arise after consuming lily of the valley,” Bishop writes, recommending calling a poison control centre if you have reason to believe a member of your household has consumed the plant.

2 Oleander

Oleander is incredibly dangerous, so don’t be fooled by its attractive pink blossoms. “Both humans and animals can die if they ingest the plant. While there have been few records of oleander-related human deaths, the plant has long been known to cause accidental poisoning in animals such as horses, dogs, and cattle in various regions of the world “O’Rourke notes. It should never be cultivated on premises with children or pets, according to him.

1 Water hemlock

Water hemlock may have blooms that resemble those of Queen Anne’s Lace, but it’s not only invasive—also it’s poisonous. “While they’re unlikely to be intentionally cultivated on any land, their invasive nature as a common weed means they might find their way into your garden or neighbourhood on occasion. The chemicals in the plant have an effect on the central nervous system, which can result in suffocation death in humans and animals “Horticulturist and gardener Thomas O’Rourke of Horticulture Magazine explains.